It’s been a long, sometimes wonderful, fulfilling, irritating, disheartening, body-breaking, frustrating journey for David Wright. But at the end of this season, the New York Mets third baseman will call it quits. Just not before he gets one last start at third base.
“Physically, and the way I feel right now, and from what the doctors have told me, there’s not going to be any improvement,” Wright said in a news conference on Thursday. “I don’t see (continuing) as a possibility.”
The team will activate him for their final homestand, which begins on September 25. But he’ll make his final start at third base against the Miami Marlins on September 29.
“I would say once I started ramping up, and definitely in the games, is when physically I knew that I couldn’t do it. For me to play back-to-back games, it was just survival mode,” Wright said while describing his rehab process.
Taken 38th overall back in 2001, Wright has spent his entire career with the New York Mets. In that time, he’s become a seven-time All-Star, two-time Gold Glove and two-time Silver Slugger. However, his last two seasons — 2015 and 2016 — saw injuries limit him to just 75 total games. He didn’t play last season and so far hasn’t suited up at the major league level this season. He deserves better than this, but sometimes our bodies dont care about what we deserve.
Wright currently holds a slash line of 296/.376/.491 with 390 doubles, 242 home runs and 196 stolen bases. And he’ll never, ever forget the Mets.
“I said it when I was a younger player, and I’ll say it again: I truly bleed orange and blue,” Wright adds. “And, throughout this process, the love and the support and the respect from inside and outside the organization has meant the world to me.”
Meanwhile, the Mets are 67-78 on the season and going nowhere fast. It’s a shame that his career has to end this way, but we hope he gets to enjoy his retirement.